I mentioned earlier that my photo expedition through Ecuador’s astounding ant fauna was interrupted part-way by a tragic failure of my kit’s centerpiece: the Canon MP-E macro lens. The iris was stuck full open, inert, and the lens lost all depth-of-field.
Once plan B- an attempt to ship in a new lens- failed, I settled on four strategies.
1. Change the subject
I was still functional for shooting larger insects with my 100mm f/2.8 lens, as well as an extension tube + 35mm lens. I abandoned plans to photograph small ants in favor of, for example, grasshoppers:
2. Free form jazz odyssey
When rock legends Spinal Tap lost their lead guitar player, the band didn’t throw in the towel. They made a stylistic change to suit what remained. My broken lens wasn’t useless- it still functioned at f/2.8. Wide open, the lens captures dreamy, almost hallucinogenic images. Most of these f/2.8 photos won’t be economically viable in the stock photography market, but they’ll make fine art prints. A free-form jazz odyssey of bug photos, if you will:
3. MacGyver a solution
Some ant species were so important I absolutely had to photograph them, lens or no. The Allomerus from the Monday Mystery is one such species.
While the iris on my broken MP-E lens was out, the iris on my 35mm f/2 prime worked fine. So I stopped that lens all the way down to f/22 and reverse-mounted it with masking tape to the front of the stricken macro:
With radio-fired remote strobes for lighting I had a satisfactory work-around. The contraption was so dark I had to use a 100 light LED array to illuminate the subject just to line up the shot, and the final image wasn’t quite as crisp as the MP-E on its own. But with patience I was able to capture usable photographs.
4. Extend and crop
The single extension tube I packed was a godsend. Inexpensive & lightweight, the tube added just enough oomph to my 100mm macro that I could make up the magnification difference on larger ants by cropping slightly, rather than severely. For example, this cropped image comprises 70% of the original pixels:
The resolution is not the maximum that the 7D is capable of capturing, but the resulting image is still 4000 pixels wide, well more than enough for the stock photo market. Plus, it’s a great shot. It wouldn’t exist at all if I’d just given up and spent the rest of my trip hiking about and drinking Pilsener.
I finished the expedition with a remarkable new collection of natural history images. In fact, most content for Army Ant Week was taken post-failure. I salvaged the trip because I carried just enough redundancy in my equipment- I had two macro lenses, two camera backs, an extension tube, and extra flash units- to be able to recover from malfunctions.
All the same, I’m buying more extension tubes.