Looking for a challenge? Here are a few questions from the midterm examination of my current Entomology course.
29. Which of the following animals’ life cycles is most likely to include a puparium?
a. house fly
b. silkworm moth
c. monarch butterfly
d. rove beetle
30. Sclerotization is the process by which:
a. spiracles close to prevent water loss
b. coremata release pheromones as a sexual attractant
c. the exocuticle hardens following ecdysis
d. the wax layer is formed as a barrier to water loss
31. Which of the following insect structures are not made from cuticle?
d. all of the above
32. Pick the group that is extinct:
33. Which of the following is the best explanation for why insect hemolymph is not red like vertebrate blood?
a. Insects lack a heart
b. Insects do not transport oxygen using the red pigment hemoglobin
c. Insects have a closed circulatory system, and their arteries and veins hide the red blood inside
d. Unlike vertebrate bone marrow, the bone marrow of insects doesn’t produce red blood cells
34. ZW & Haplodiploidy are two examples of:
a. chromosomal sex determination systems
b. male mating strategies
c. mechanisms regulating ecdysis
d. genetic differences between insects and myriapods
35. A Praying Mantis tries to grasp a grasshopper, but the grasshopper manages to jump out of danger’s way. This could be considered a victory of ______________ legs over _______________ legs. (2 points)
a. natorial, saltatorial
b. fossorial, raptorial
c. cursorial, natorial
d. saltatorial, raptorial
e. geniculate, plumose
44. Describe two functions of insect wings other than flight, and provide an example for each (4 points)
45. Two ants fall from the top of the UT clock tower. One lands on dry asphalt, the other in a rain puddle. Which is most likely to survive, and why? (4 points).