I designed tonight’s challenge for the taxonomists.
The small paper labels above are associated with a particular preserved ant specimen. I photographed these in the natural history museum where the ant is housed. I also photographed the specimen, but I won’t show that to you just yet.
My questions are:
1. The pink label states “Lectotypus”. What does that mean? (2 points)
2. What is the name of the museum? (2 points)
3. What does “St. Cathar.” mean? (1 point)
4. In what genus is this species currently classified? (1 point)
5. In the montage below, which ant is most likely conspecific with our mystery ant? (4 points)
I will award points to the first person to provide correct answers to each question. The cumulative points winner for the month of December will win their choice of 1) any 8×10-sized print from my photo galleries, or 2) a guest post here on Myrmecos.