You wouldn’t think it safe to mail live Malaria mosquitoes around the world. You wouldn’t, I hope, market MedFly as a fun pet. So why would anyone in their right mind do this?
Here is a list of known pest ants for sale by the World of Ants store, based in Germany:
- Pheidole cf. megacephala [listed in ISSG “worst 100” invasives]
- Paratrechina longicornis [The ant that ate Biosphere II]
- Solenopsis invicta [listed in ISSG “worst 100“, economic damage of $1 billion/year in U.S.]
- Tetramorium caespitum [The pavement ant]
- Tetramorium bicarinatum
- Pseudomyrmex gracilis
- Nylanderia cf. vividula
- Myrmica rubra [The rapidly spreading “European Fire Ant“]
Say what you will about Gerhard Kalytta, the ant smuggler caught earlier this year leaving Australia. Mr. Kalytta at least has sufficient conscience to refrain from selling known high-risk pests. The World of Ants? Not even a shred of responsibility. This store needs to be shut down NOW.
Note: I believe my reproduction of the screen captures of the World of Ants website fall under the Fair Use provision of U.S. Copyright Law.