I am still working through the South African ant photos I took this July. Progress is slow. I’m not terribly familiar with the African fauna, and the species have to be keyed out and checked against the literature so I can post images with the proper identification. All the same, I’m not 100%.
What I’ve learned in the process is that Brian Taylor’s Ants of Africa site is indispensable. The interface is a bit web-1.0-clunky, but the content is exactly what I need. This morning I keyed the above Pyramica to the pan-African species P. ludovici in under 5 minutes. And it checked well against the virtual collection at Antweb. Awesome.
In any case, I’ve posted the latest update of African myrmicine ants here.